Monday, January 05, 2009

The Air I Breathe

I'm going through this profound book named: The Air I Breathe, by Louie Giglio.

 

This book's goal is to explain what worship is and explain how it relates to God. More importantly it tells the reader how to worship God in a greater fashion.

 

I'm only a couple of chapters into the book and I have found that my perspective on worship was completely misconstrued.

 

                "We are all worshipers ... of something. But are we spending our lives and filling our days with what matters most?"

 

I went on to read that worship was putting value on something, and that we are constantly in worship ... or something. 

 

We show our value by spending time with someone or something. So, quite literally today I worshiped my Wii and my book of Shakespeare plays, the problem that Christians are posed with is: Are we worshiping our reason for life as much as we should? Or are we putting the creation before the Creator?

 

Rom 12:1             Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship.

Rom 12:2             Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.


Time, in any instance is a sacrifice, so in essence to give all of ourselves we have to relinquish all of our time to the Lord.

 

The world will tell us differently:             You only have to give up some of your time.

 

In reality our life is a gift, so in order to not be a “re-gift-er (Indian giver)” we need to thank and share our life with the One who gave it to us!

 

Each moment should be spent in worship to our Creator!

 

This bothered me, in the good I need to get on my face and pray to be forgiven way. The truth is that we spend more time spending time with materials and people than we do with God. The whole praying without ceasing thing comes into play here; you have to make a conscious effort to praise your heavenly Father all day long. (Later in the book it is supposed to help you understand how to do that better.)

 

I guess the purpose of this post is to pose a few questions to you:

 

  • What are you worshiping based on the value and time you are putting into them?
  • Are you putting God's creation before the Creator?
    • Are you praying?
    • Are you reading your Bible?
  • What are you going to do to change the way you spend your time?

(Notice: these questions are just as much for the author as they are for the reader)

No comments:

Post a Comment